This raw carrot salad is all over social media right now and for good reason – it’s packed with essential vitamins, antioxidants and omega-3. Plus, it’s tasty!
Working in eye health, we’ve been recommending eating carrots for decades due to all its health benefits. Carrots contain Vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining clear vision as it supports the cornea. When combined with other vitamins, it can play a part in preventing macula degeneration. Besides Vitamin A, carrots also contain a cartonenoid called lutein, which is vital for macula health.
Studies have shown that eating carrots at least twice a week can reduce the risk of glaucoma, and could even slow the onset of cataracts too!
There is also Flaxseed oil in the recipe below (feel free to switch this out with Apple Cider vinegar or white wine vinegar!) and this helps boost your intake of omega-3.
The raw carrot salad is easy to make and only contains a handful of ingredients.
- 500g carrots (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh green chilies
Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and let it ‘rest’ in the fridge for at least 2 hours to allow the flavours to meld and permeate the carrots. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Buy locally grown carrots when they are in season – this way they are the freshest and most flavourful. Use the entire carrot, including the tops and skin to boost fibre intake and reduce wastage.
- Increase the fibre intake by keeping the skins on steadies blood-sugar levels in diabetes, and helps to feel fuller for longer.
We’ll post regular recipes to our blog so keep checking in!